Saturday, March 27, 2010

San Francisco

My family and I were supposed to go to Mexico last Spring but because of the Swine Flu (lame) we couldn't go. So...I had a ticket that had to be used by Jan 31st. Where oh where should I go??? Well, one of my good friends...Mr. Wayne Covington...was living in SF. I decided to go and visit him. His job got transfered to NYC a week and a half before my trip (which ended up being great...he's my neighbor in nyc now!!! loves it!) so I'm thinking, now what? I called the travel agent and she said the ticket was non-refundable.

I LOVE to travel so I couldn't see just throwing the ticket away and just not going at all. I say...screw it...I'll go alone and I'll have the best time EVER! It's not like I'm shy. PLEASEEEE I figured I would go and just meet some cool new people. So I book a hostel and decide to go with no plans and just see what happens on the other side of the country.

I'm on the plane, seat belt fastened, ready for my travels to begin. Then I hear the flight attendant asking if someone could get off the plane for a stand by passenger. I had no plans upon arrival so I figured...WHY NOT? I get off the plane...I get a free $400 ticket to anywhere I want to go and a free dinner. Anyone want to go on vacation by the way??? My next flight left in an hour and I was ready to explore San Francisco.

As a poor New Yorker I decided to get to the hostel by the train system...I think it was called BART. I found the hostel by myself...no lie...I was kind of proud when I reached my destination. It was the cutest little hostel. I had the bottom bunk bed and shared a room with 3 other strangers. Throughout the week I met several newcomers to the room but one girl stayed the whole time.

The next morning, it was beautiful out and I decided to spend the whole day outside. I took a bus to the golden gate bridge and walked everywhere taking photos. I've been getting into photography so I was having the greatest time. I then walked across the Golden Gate Bridge thinking a little town (forgot the name) was righ ton the other side. After walking around ALL day...I found out that the town was a little further than I thought and I would have had to walk along a highway to get to it. Not a good idea especially since it was now dark outside. The next thing I found out was that no public bus comes to the other side of the bridge so I would have to walk all the way back across the bridge. HELL NO!!!! There was no way that was happening. I was tired I would have hitched hiked at that point! So I see a bus that gives tours and stuff and I start talking to the bus driver. I ask if I can get a ride across the bridge and that I would give him $5. He says he will drop me off at my hostel! It was great!!! I sat on the top of the bus with the rest of the tourists...listened to the tour and got dropped off right in front of my door. Perfection.

SF has an amazing China Town so I knew Chinese Food just had to happen. So one of the girls who was in my hostel went with me to get some mai thais and chinese food. It was sooo much fun. We then went to 2 different fun bars and danced the night away.

The next morning, Me and the girl (I forgot her name) went wine tasting in the Napa Valley and Sonoma. It was AMAZING!!!!!! We went to 3 different vineyards. I had a blast and it was SOOOO beautiful. I am really happy I went because it was an experience I will never forget and something I would love to do again.

After a reallyyyy great day the bus was on its way to drop us off. I read that the Irish Coffee was created at a restaurant in SF (forgot the name of it). As the bus is driving we pass this restaurant. I LOVE IRISH COFFEES! I could drink them all day everyday. I know Im a weirdo but they are SO good! Well, after a little too much wine...I get excited and I tell the bus driver to pull over.

I go to this restaurant sit right up at the bar and get myself an irish coffee. I start talking to everyone and make friends with some old man. He buys me another Irish Coffee and we continue our conversation. I'm explaining to him that I'm traveling alone and what I have seen and done. He's saying that he's an SF native and he would love to show me around. Well after chatting for about an hour I said sure. I mean what's the point of traveling alone and not meeting people especially those who are from the area.

Next thing I know....he buys me ghirardelli chocolate and takes me out for an expensive dinner. He gets a bottle of wine appetizers, fancy entrees. Meanwhile, the whole time Im telling him I have to be back at the hostel by 10pm because Wayne's best friend Amir was going to take me out and show my the nightlife of SF. Sure enough after a great dinner...the old man (never got his name) brings me right to the hostel and said he hopes I enjoy the rest of my time here. SEE FRIENDS....THERE ARE NICE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD. I think people need to take more risks and live a little instead of always worrying about the what ifs.

Anyways, I then went out with Amir and had a crazyyyy night of dancing. SO MUCH FUN! SF def knows how to have fun!

The next day, I walked around Union Sq, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. I rode one of those cable cars and again took lots of pictures. I think the best part of traveling, especially when your on your own, is to just walk around and explore. I took myself out for dinner which included a sourdough bowl with clam chowder in it....ohhh and several fruity happy hour drinks ;) It was such a nice feeling sitting at this restaurant alone...looking out to the bay with seals. I know it might sounds kinda lonely but it was liberating knowing I had no one to impress, no obligations, I was just there enjoying myself.

The next morning I went to brunch in Haight-Ashbury (I think thats what its called...its been awhile). I went with that girl from my hostel. So much fun! We had a mimosa and then went to all the thrift shops filled with 70s clothes. It was fun to look at everything. I then got a massage and was ready to catch my plane.

I had such an amazingggg time in SF!!! I am so happy I went on this trip. At first I was def hesitant to go alone since I did not know ANYONE. But, it ended up being on of my favorite vacations. I would def travel alone again if I ever need a get away. This year has made me even more independent than before...and I like it ;) I have decided that I absolutely LOVE telling stories and those stories are onlyyy created by being adventurous.

No comments:

Post a Comment